Wednesday, April 1, 2009

habia una vez en Montana de Luz...
















(left to right: a picture off the side of our chapel, some of our caretakers in the back of the truck (most people travel like this and it freaks me out to sit on the edge like that!), some squash plants we are finally getting to grow, the side of my house with our former banana plant (it died), and our wash area here at Montana de Luz. The weather has been so hot that things dry in very little time.
Hi! Just wanted to put up some more pictures. April is the hottest month and we're dying of heat up here in Montana de Luz. We have fans but they don't do us justice.
Nothing new just been reading and listening to some spanish praise music. For all you latin music fans, find Guillermo Anderson, Marcela Ganara, Terecer Cielo, and Jesus Romero. Those are some new favorites. My friendship with my host mom is deepening and I'm really adapting to life out here, though there are still plenty of struggles with the machismo and feeling blocked in at times. I saw an interesting article in the paper yesterday that said "God healed my HIV/AIDS." It covered a story on a man who had AIDS and then went to a church in Teguc and became healed. It was just so upfront. I asked my host mom what she thought and she said that she totally believed it happened, its just that she doesn't believe it should be publized like that. It made me remember how Jesus often told those that he healed not to tell the priests or others. But they did anyway...not too much of human nature has changed. Anyways, it has been interesting to be in a culture where news is quite sensational. Just the pictures on the front page can be of a graphic accident and are enough to turn your stomache.
I've got a break this next week for what's called semana santa, or holy week. I'm excited to get out and visit Michael is Gracias. Hope its a bit cooler there.
I miss you guys and am excited for my family to come at the end of May. Sounds like we have some hiking planned in a nature park here called La Tigre.
Keep on being awesome in the lives of those who gravitate around you.

2 comments:

Nathan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathan said...

Hi Liz! I love seeing the photos. I'm so glad you regularly update this. (It's great to be able to stay current on your life.) Keep on keeping on!

Nathan


(Oops. Maybe I won't accidentally delete this comment!)